1998. My mother, back from her trip to Flora Fountain handed me a bag of books. It had two Five Find-outers, one Hardy Boys and one book called Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone.
The synopsis read “Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy until he is rescued by a beetle-eyed giant of a man, enrolls at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, learns to play quidditch and even does battle in a deadly duel. The reason: HARRY POTTER IS A WIZARD!”
I rolled my eyes at my mother. I was 9, I wasn’t going to read a book about magic and wizards. Geez.
My grandmum, who, when she visits us reads everything she can get her hands on, read it and used it as a bedtime story for my sister one night. I woke up early the next morning, because I had to know what happens to the boy who lived under the stairs.
Harry Potter is funny, intriguing, exciting, smart, dramatic, sweet, detailed and did, I mention funny? Rowling has a narrative that holds you and won’t let go.
Nothing in recent years has compared to the brilliance of the Potter series. This is an actual conversation .
Me: Oh, you should read The hunger games.
Sheena: Is it as good as Harry Potter?
Me: Read that book..
Sheena:Is it as good as..
Sheena: Is it…
Here are 50 things, concepts and people I love about Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling.
- Ronald Weasley
- Draco Malfoy
- Severus Snape
- Butterbeer (Butter + Beer. For real)
- Moving chess pieces
- Rowling is the first person in the world to become a billionaire by writing books.
- The clock in the Weasley’s kitchen
- The marauder’s map
- Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore and his words of wisdom (After all to the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure. Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live)
- Rowling’s amazing commencement speech
- Luna Lovegood
- A Snitch
- The fans (I love Harry Potter fans. There is always conversation. I may not know your full name but we could have long conversations on why I was always on Snape’s side or why no one could be a better Bellatrix Lestrange than Helena Bonham Carter)
- Felix Felicis
- “I’m going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed – or worse, expelled.” – Hermione Granger
- Cedric Diggory
- Professor McGonagall
- Books by Gilderoy Lockhart (Break With A Banshee, Gadding With Ghouls, Holidays With Hags, Magical Me, Travel With Trolls, Voyages With Vampires, Wandering With Werewolves, Year With The Yeti)
- Peeves (We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter’s the one and Voldy’s gone moldy, so now let’s have fun!)
- The Firebolt
- Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour
- Flourish & Blotts
- Fred and George Weasley (I think I wept when they leave Hogwarts to a shower of fireworks)
- St. Mungo’s
- The deathly hallows
- The Knight Bus
- The Floo network
- Gryffindor common room passwords (abstinence, balderdash, banana fritters, caput draconis, dilligrout, fairy lights, flibbertigibbet, fortuna major, Mimbulus mimbletonia, oddsbodikins, quid agis, scurvy cur)
- Sirius Black (And the tiny detail, that “Sirius Black” is a pun on his Animagus form of a black dog, as the star Sirius is known as the Dog Star, and is the brightest star in Canis Major.)
- Daily Prophet
- Gellert Grindelwald
- Dumbledore’s Army
- The Sorting hat and the House system (I’d definitely be a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. That’s kind of sad)
- Marvolo Gaunt
- Ginny’s song (His eyes are as green as a fresh pickled toad, His hair is as dark as a blackboard. I wish he was mine, he’s really divine, the hero who conquered the Dark Lord.)
- Arabella Doreen Figg (Oh, god she was squib! Whaaat! The cat lady with the house that smelled of cabbage)
- Honeydukes Sweetshop
- Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes (“Why are you worrying about you-know-who? you should be worrying about u-no-poo. the constipation sensation that’s gripping the nation!”)
- Mad-eye Moody
- Kingsley Shacklebolt
- Polyjuice potion
- The Goblet of Fire (Best tournament in the history of everything)